The name of this delicious Irish Christmas Pudding recipe may be a bit misleading - it's really more of a cake than a pudding.
Another name for Irish Christmas pudding is plum pudding, which can also be a bit confusing. There are no plums in Irish Christmas pudding!
The term plum comes from the original creators of the pudding, back in Victorian times, when the word plum meant raisins.
This Irish Christmas pudding recipe is one of the quickest and easiest to make - the perfect choice for our impatient Irish family! We hope you enjoy it as well.
Optional but yummy: When it comes to extra fruit, the more you have the tastier
Optional: Pre-soak the fruit for several days in a glass jar with the half cup of brandy. Then take the following steps:
1. Mix all the dry ingredients and add the fruit, dusting it evenly
2. Combine the rest of the ingredients, mix and add to the flour. Mix well. If it’s too stiff, add a little Guinness!
3. Line a heat-resistant bowl with parchment
4. Fill the the bowl with the pudding mixture and stretch aluminum foil tightly over he top, sealing the bowl.
5. Put the bowl in a Dutch oven on a rack so the bowl doesn’t touch the bottom. Fill with water half way up the bowl and allow it to steam for 2 to 2 ½ hours. The pudding will be done when you insert a toothpick or skewer in the center and it comes out clean. Some people use a slow cooker for this step, it works just as well but increases the cooking time.
6a. Serve warm with the Sauce below drizzled on top, OR
6b. Allow the pudding to cure. You cure it by drizzling it liberally with brandy or Irish whiskey, wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap after each addition and then aluminum foil. Open it occasionally to add more.
We usually serve ours right away, with the sauce below.
1. Put all ingredients, except vanilla, into a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture begins to thicken. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
2. Drizzle over the pudding and serve warm to your guests.
Sharing Irish food is one of our favorite ways to enjoy an Irish experience, wherever in the world we happen to be!
The flavors of an Irish meal, and the stories that come along with many Irish recipes, gives us a sense of connection with the Emerald Isle.
If you enjoyed our Irish Christmas Pudding recipe, please take a moment to
share your feedback about it, using our contact form here.
In the meantime, thank you so much for visiting!
PLEASE SHARE US WITH YOUR FRIENDS
YOU CAN FIND US ANYTIME ON ...