Irish Shepherds Pie Recipe: The Flavors Take Us Back to the Traditional Irish Lifestyle!
If you want to serve an authentic Irish meal, an Irish shepherds pie recipe is a great place to start. We
have sampled this dish all over the world, and while it definitely tastes best in
Ireland, you can make a pretty mean version of it wherever you are.
And it doesn’t take long to make. Preparation time is usually 20
minutes or less, with about the same amount of time to cook. This
particular recipe feeds 4-6.
Please enjoy our favorite Irish shepherds
pie recipe, and if you have any comments or questions please let us know
using our contact form!
- 2 pounds lamb (small chunks)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3-4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup peas (ideally frozen, not canned)
- 3 carrots, diced (or one package frozen). Although
carrots are the more authentic ingredient we will sometimes substitute a
bag of frozen corn because - well - we like it better!
- 6 ounces red wine
- 2 tablespoons ketchup or tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups mashed potatoes (we recommend making them from
scratch, but if peeling,
chopping and squishing boiled spuds is not your thing, a quality packaged
substitute will work just fine.)
- 1 egg whipped with 2 teaspoons of milk
- 2 – 3 cups of grated Irish cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional, probably not all that
authentic, but we love ‘em)
Directions for Making this Irish Shepherds Pie Recipe
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees Farenheit
- Saute the carrots in olive oil until tender
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the sauté mix and cook for a minute or two
- Stir in the minced garlic
- Add the lamb chunks
- Add the pepper, thyme, garlic and rosemary
- Cook until the meat is browned, then drain the fat
- Add the butter and the peas
- Stir the flour into the mix
- Add the tomato and wine. Allow to simmer until reduction begins, then add the stock.
- Reduce into gravy. Add a pinch of this and that until delicious, then remove from heat.
- Grease an appropriate oven dish with the butter (between 9” and 13” in diameter works best), and add the cooked ingredients.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the mixed ingredients. Brush the potatoes with egg
- Bake until the potato is golden brown on top, approximately 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle grated Irish cheese over all (parmesan cheese works fine as well) and bake for another 3-5 minutes
- Serve in a bowl or large plate, with a pint o’ Guinness (or your favorite alternative beverage).
Delicious! What's Next?
This Irish Shepherds Pie recipe invokes traditional Irish flavors, and is a tasty way to express your Irish side wherever you are in the world!
For more examples of Irish recipes, visit our Irish food section here!
If you enjoyed this page in particular, please take a moment to share your feedback about it, or any other part of our
site, using our contact form here.
In the meantime, thank you so much
for visiting! We hope you will continue to explore Irish culture and traditions, and to share your Irish side with
the growing community at Irish Expressions.com!
PLEASE SHARE US WITH YOUR FRIENDS
YOU CAN FIND US ANYTIME ON ...
Have an Irish-Themed Product to Sell?
We are looking for great Irish Expressions to share with our members.
We want to hear your ideas!
Contact us here!