Irish Shepherds Pie Recipe: The Flavors Take Us Back to the Traditional Irish Lifestyle!
If you want to serve an authentic Irish meal, an Irish shepherds pie recipe is a great place to start. We
have sampled this dish all over the world, and while it definitely tastes best in
Ireland, you can make a pretty mean version of it wherever you are.
And it doesn’t take long to make. Preparation time is usually 20
minutes or less, with about the same amount of time to cook. This
particular recipe feeds 4-6.
If this makes you hungry for many more delicious Irish recipes, visit our main section on Irish recipes here.
Meanwhile, please enjoy our favorite Irish shepherds
- 2 pounds lamb (small chunks)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3-4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup peas (ideally frozen, not canned)
- 3 carrots, diced (or one package frozen). Although
carrots are the more authentic ingredient we will sometimes substitute a
bag of frozen corn because - well - we like it better!
- 6 ounces red wine
- 2 tablespoons ketchup or tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups mashed potatoes (we recommend making them from
scratch, but if peeling,
chopping and squishing boiled spuds is not your thing, a quality packaged
substitute will work just fine.)
- 1 egg whipped with 2 teaspoons of milk
- 2 – 3 cups of grated Irish cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional, probably not all that
authentic, but we love ‘em)
Directions for Making this Irish Shepherds Pie Recipe
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees Farenheit
- Saute the carrots in olive oil until tender
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the sauté mix and cook for a minute or two
- Stir in the minced garlic
- Add the lamb chunks
- Add the pepper, thyme, garlic and rosemary
- Cook until the meat is browned, then drain the fat
- Add the butter and the peas
- Stir the flour into the mix
- Add the tomato and wine. Allow to simmer until reduction begins, then add the stock.
- Reduce into gravy. Add a pinch of this and that until delicious, then remove from heat.
- Grease an appropriate oven dish with the butter (between 9” and 13” in diameter works best), and add the cooked ingredients.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the mixed ingredients. Brush the potatoes with egg
- Bake until the potato is golden brown on top, approximately 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle grated Irish cheese over all (parmesan cheese works fine as well) and bake for another 3-5 minutes
- Serve in a bowl or large plate, with a pint o’ Guinness (or your favorite alternative beverage).
Hungry for More Irish Recipes?
Sharing Irish food is one of our favorite ways to enjoy an Irish experience, wherever in the world we happen to be!
The flavors of an Irish meal, and the stories that come along with many Irish recipes, gives us a sense of connection with the Emerald Isle.
If you would like to receive a free copy of our e-book on favorite Irish recipes, scroll down and enter your email address. You can have recipes for our favorite Irish foods in your inbox in just minutes!
Delicious! What's Next?
At Irish Expressions, our our goal is simple: to provide you with a
unique Irish experience, on demand, wherever you are in the world.
If you have enjoyed our section on Irish Food Recipes, you have probably been exposed to many of the most delicious flavors that Ireland has to offer!
Will that entice you to visit Ireland - or to return if you have already been?
We hope so!
even if that is not possible, you can still enjoy the magic of Ireland
in these pages. Check out the links at the top of the page for simple
instructions on how to explore Irish landmarks, enjoy Irish food,
practice Irish customs, and much more!
You can also visit us on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest to see amazing pictures and interact with amazing people who share a love of Ireland.
We would love to hear from you - please send us a note here and let us know how we are doing.
Until then - thanks for visiting our Irish Shepherds Pie Recipe! Please continue exploring your Irish side at Irish-Expressions.com.
Want to Feel More Connected to Ireland? Here's How!
At Irish Expressions we believe everybody – well almost
everybody! - has an "Irish side." So how
nice would it be to have access to a fun, free Irish experience, on demand, wherever in the world you happen to be?
Over the years we have compiled many free, downloadable resources including lyrics, recipes, games, jokes, blessings and much, much more.
Would you like to receive them ALL for FREE? Simply share your email for instant access!
ENJOYING IRISH EXPRESSIONS? PLEASE CLICK BELOW AND SHARE!