There are so many uses for a fun Irish Sayings Quiz! It can be used to add excitement to any Irish occasion, from St Patricks Day to Irish-themed birthdays, weddings, retirement parties, baby showers, pub-crawls... the possibilities are limited only by your imagination!
Here is one of our favorites! Fill in the blanks to 20 of the most well-known Irish sayings below. Play in a group for bragging rights, or if you want to kick it up a notch, offer prizes to the team with the most correct answers!
And speaking of correct answers - they can all be found somewhere in the pages of Irish-Expressions.com! (Or you can see them all at the bottom of this page :-).
If you prefer, you can use our form below to download a printable version of this fun, free Irish Sayings Quiz.
1. A handful of skill is worth a bagful of _____. (Irish saying)
2. If you're lucky enough to be Irish, you're _____ enough! (Irish saying)
3. "We have always found the Irish to be a bit odd. They refuse to be _____!" Winston Churchill.
d. have (behave)
4. The older the _____ the lovelier the tune. (Irish saying)
5. Drink is a curse! It makes you shoot at your landlord and it makes you _____. (Irish saying)
a. hit him
b. fall down
6. "The Irish are one people for whom _____ is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud.
7. A trout in the pot is better than a _____ in the sea! (Irish saying)
8. A good man loves is sweetheart the most, his wife the best, and his mother the _____. (Irish saying)
b. most carefully
9. "Work is the curse of the _____ class!" Oscar Wilde.
d. fourth grade
10. God invented _____ to keep the Irish from ruling the world! (Irish saying)
a. the English
c. the Emerald Isle
11. "It's summertime in Ireland when the _____ grows warmer!" Hal Roach.
d. blarney stone
12. "Only Irish coffee contains all four essential food groups; alcohol, caffeine, sugar and _____!" Alex Levine.
13. "Like the warmth of the sun and the light of the day, may the _____ of the Irish shine bright on your way." (Irish blessing)
14. "May you live as long as you want, and never _____ as long as you live." (Irish blessing)
15. There is nothing so bad it could not be _____! (Irish saying)
16. Many _____ make light work. (Irish saying)
17. As you slide down the banister of life, may the _____ never point in the wrong direction! (Irish blessing)
18. No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his _____ _____ around his neck." (Irish saying)
a. neighbor's cat
b. shot gun
c. daughter's arm
d. landlord's hands
19. If you want to know what God thinks of _____ just look at who he gives it to! (Irish saying)
d. all of the above
20. There are only three kinds of Irish men who don't understand women - you men, old men and men of _____ _____. (Irish saying)
a. middle age
c. Great Britain
A score of 17 or higher is a sign of a well-developed Irish side!
A score of 14-16 is pretty good! You are probably the life of the party on St Patricks Day!
A score of 10-13 means you should probably brush up on your knowledge of the Emerald Isle! Keep exploring Irish-expressions.com to discover Irish trivia, and many ways to express your own Irish side!
For a free printable version of this Irish Sayings Quiz, please fill in the form below.
Answers can be found at the bottom of this page.
Answers: 1-gold; 2-lucky; 3-English; 4-fiddle; 5-miss; 6-psychoanalysis; 7-salmon; 8-longest; 9-drinking; 10-whiskey; 11-rain; 12-fat; 13-luck; 14-want; 15-worse; 16-hands; 17-splingers; 18-daughter's arm; 19-all of the above; 20-middle age.
Irish blessings, toasts, quotes and other sayings are an essential part of Irish culture and heritage. Share them during special occasions, to celebrate Irish culture and express your personal Irish side!
For more information of this type, you may want to pay a visit to our main section on Irish Sayings here!
Meanwhile, thanks for visiting our Irish sayings quiz! Now let's click on another topic above and continue expressing your Irish side at Irish Expressions.com.
YOU CAN FIND US ANYTIME ON ...