St Patricks Day Appetizers: Get Your Party Started With A Bit 'O Irish Flavor!
There are hundreds of St Patricks Day
appetizers to be found on the Internet, but trust us, they are not all created equal!
Adding green food
coloring is fun, but we prefer to serve dishes that have some true connection to Irish history and culture.
Enjoy these, and if you want more, click here to visit our main section on Irish recipes!
St Patricks Day Appetizer #1: Roasted Potato Wedges
While the Cheddar sauce suggested below may not be the
most authentic Irish flavor, the potato has been a staple of the Irish diet for centuries!
Roasted Potato Wedges: Ingredients
- 3 baking potatoes (large), slice into 8 pieces
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or similar oil
- ½ tsp salt (optional)
- ¼ tbsp black pepper (freshly ground)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1.25 cups milk
- 1.25 cups sharp cheddar
- 2 tbsp green onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp bacon bits (real)
- 1/4 tbsp cayenne pepper (optional)
Roasted Potato Wedges: Preparation
Prepare the Potatoes
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Put the seasonings in a bag with a seal, insert the potato wedges and toss.
- Then arrange the wedges on a baking pan and cover the whole pan with foil.
- Bake the potatoes for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and turn the potatoes
- Leave the wedges uncovered and bake for another 10 minutes until lightly browned
While the wedges are browning, prepare the sauce:
- Heat the oil over medium heat
- Add in the flour and stir for 30
- Add the milk and let the mixture thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat from medium to
low, stir in the cheese and all other ingredients.
- Season the sauce to taste.
St Patricks Day Appetizer #2: Red Potato Colcannon
Another appetizer featuring ingredients well suited to the Ireland countryside. With a hint of
butter and seasoning, this dish can be served with crackers on the side.
Red Potato Colcannon: Ingredients
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut in half
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6 cups cabbage (green)
- ½ cup onion (preferably white or yellow)
- 1 cup milk
- .25 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
Red Potato Colcannon: Preparation
- Add an inch of water to a steamer or Dutch oven and bring to a boil
- Add the potatoes and steam for about 15 minutes
- Then remove the potatoes from heat and cover them to keep warm.
- In nonstick skillet, melt the butter on medium heat.
- Add in the onion and stir 2 minutes or until it becomes translucent.
- Add in the cabbage, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes or until it starts to brown.
- Reduce heat to low then add in the milk and white pepper.
- Cook 8 minutes, stirring gently until
the cabbage is tender
- While the cabbage is cooking, mash the potatoes to desired texture
- Mix the cabbage with the
potatoes and stir to desired consistency
- Let the mixture cool, then serve alone or with crackers on the side
St Patricks Day Appetizer #3: Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread
Soda bread has long been a staple of the Irish diet. It makes a great
St Patricks Day appetizer since you can serve it cold or warm, with butter, jelly or dips.
For the whole wheat version, have a look below. For other variations, check out our section on Irish soda bread here!
Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread: Ingredients
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2.25 cups buttermilk
Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread: Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Coat a baking sheet with oil and
- Dust a clean flat surface with flour to prepare the dough.
- Combine the two flours and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the mound of flour and baking soda, then
add in the buttermilk.
- Stir until all the flour is mixed in so you have dough
that is not sticky or wet.
- Knead the dough on a flat, dusted surface.
- Create a round shape, flip and flatten it until it is 2 inches thick.
the loaf on the baking sheet. Deep cross it with a knife then prick the four
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven heat to 400 degrees F and bake for another 30 to 35
minutes till brown on the top.
Hungry for More Irish Recipes?
Sharing Irish food is one of our favorite ways to enjoy an Irish experience, wherever in the world we happen to be!
The flavors of an Irish meal, and the stories that come along with many Irish recipes, gives us a sense of connection with the Emerald Isle.
If you would like to receive a free copy of our e-book on favorite Irish recipes, scroll down and enter your email address. You can have recipes for our favorite Irish foods in your inbox in just minutes!
Want More Ideas?
At Irish Expressions, our our goal is simple: to provide you with a unique Irish experience, on demand, wherever you are in the world.
If you have enjoyed our section on Irish food recipes, you have probably been exposed to many of the most exciting flavors that Ireland has to offer!
Will that entice you to visit Ireland - or to return if you have already been?
We hope so!
But even if that is not possible, you can still enjoy the magic of Ireland in these pages. Check out the links at the top of the page for simple instructions on how to explore Irish landmarks, sing Irish songs, enjoy Irish food, and much more!
You can also visit us on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest to see amazing pictures and interact with amazing people who share a love of Ireland.
We would love to hear from you - please send us a note here and let us know how we are doing.
Until then - thanks for visiting St Patricks Day Appetizers! Please continue exploring your Irish side at Irish-Expressions.com.
Express Your Irish Side With Real Irish Gifts
A note from Bruce:
My friend Stuart Marley and his wife Meredith are the founders of Real Irish Gifts and Travel, one of the finest Irish-themed businesses I have encountered. They have been operating since 1999.
Members of the Irish Expressions community (that's you!) get 15% off anything in their online store, 365 days a year. Simply click on the link below and receive your discount automatically at checkout. Enjoy!
Want to Feel More Connected to Ireland? Here's How!
At Irish Expressions we believe everybody – well almost
everybody! - has an "Irish side." So how
nice would it be to have access to a fun, free Irish experience, on demand, wherever in the world you happen to be?
Over the years we have compiled many free, downloadable resources including lyrics, recipes, games, jokes, blessings and much, much more.
Would you like to receive them ALL for FREE? Simply share your email for instant access!
ENJOYING IRISH EXPRESSIONS? PLEASE CLICK BELOW AND SHARE!